Search This Blog

Monday, September 2, 2013

Official Transition: The Experiment

Greetings all!


My month-long hiatus now comes to a close this Labour Day. And now, in what may come as a shock to loyal readers, I will present a format change for my site for the future. From here on out, as part of an attempt to expand my own horizons and skills as a writer, I will be experimenting with publishing my poetry here. I've been writing poems for a fairly long time now, despite having only once or twice shown them to others.

I realize this means I won’t be churning out political essays and such with as much frequency as I normally do. I expect this to be a consequence of my choice, and as such, I will still be taking offers from friends or those ready and willing to contribute guest work if they so choose. Hopefully, this will help to fill the gap. I will also continue to write my own essays, but likely significantly less often, perhaps once a month or so.

To clarify exactly how this will work out, assume that I will write on average two poems a week for this site, if not more. I’m certain a fair portion will be political in nature, so as not to completely disappoint those who have always read my work for its messages. The following poem is the first of what I hope will be many works to come. This week’s quote comes from Mohammad Mosaddegh, an Iranian prime minister who deserves greater recognition nowadays than he gets.

Maybe

Maybe I could have been there,

            for each time I missed it I hurt.

Maybe I could have heard your voice,

            and been soothed into a bittersweet surrender.

Maybe I could have known you better,

            and known a world through your eyes.

Maybe I could have reached over to you,

            and brushed my hand against what was not there, not for me.

            But I never did.


Maybe I could have seen what I was missing,

            but I was blinded by what came before.

Maybe I could have realized it sooner,

            but we were too far apart for me to hear you cry.

Maybe I could have been better for you,

            but the taste of failure drove me away.

Maybe I could have had you,

            but you could not have me.


            And I always loved you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment